I have beenÂ making progress in the vegetable garden slowly but surely in the month of May. Seeds are sprouting, transplants are taking root, and I am working on garden infrastructure like bean trellises and the new wire fence to keep Freyja from trampling my snow peas. I started plantingÂ peas, radishes, and greens in mid-April, but nothing really took off until mid-May, and I finally have some seedlings putting out true leaves: chard, beets, peas, turnips, and icicle radishes. This week, I have started plantingÂ warm weather crops like tomatoes, squashes and melons, beans, and the like—hopefully they will survive the hard rain and hailstorms that have suddenly been cropping up every afternoon.
In addition toÂ the tomatoes and squashes, I have also started plantingÂ out my herb spiral. It still has quite a bit of room for more plants, but at least this is a start. I’ll be doing some plants in the ground here, some mixed in among the veggies (basil, dill, and summer savory, for instance), and yet more in pots on my back porch rail, so hopefully I will have plenty for cooking this summer, and maybe even over the winter if I can keep the porch plants alive inside.
Part of the delay in planting was caused by our Mother’s Day snow storm, and below freezing temperatures that actually went a day past our historicalÂ last-frost date. I had been hoping to spend my Mother’s Day planting warm weather crops and transplanting tomatoes and herbs, but that was definitely not in the cards this year! Fortunately, the sprouts already in the garden, as well as the transplanted strawberries, all survived the cold snap with a little extra protection.
I have also been enjoying exploring the plants that are coming up in the backyard without assistance. We’ve eaten some dandelions already, andÂ I am charmed byÂ all the little early violets and now the strawberries that are bloomingÂ in the shade, whichÂ someone must have plantedÂ in previous years.
I’m also trying to figure out just what this weed is. It is growing like crazy (like a weed, one might almost say!), and my best guess at identification suggests it might be some sort of pigweed, which is an edible plant in the amaranth family. I haven’t attempted to eat any yet because I am not 100% sure—any of my readers care to weigh in? Last summer these plants got to be at least 3 feet tall in the backyard while I was busy nursing a newborn around the clock, so they could be a great source of greens on our platesÂ if they are in fact edible.
Another potentially edible wild plant: I suspect this to be lambsquarter, but I won’t be sure until they grow a bit larger. These are cropping up all around the raised beds, and would be a very welcome green if my guess is correct.
I have a few starts going that have yet to be planted. I thought I might try my hand at sweet potatoes in containers this year, as I have several very large plastic container, and a nice sunny spot alongside our driveway that is otherwise an eyesore. With any luck, I will fill the planter with lush edible sweet potato vines and maybe even some tubers at the end of the season.Â I decided to sprout these in advance, and although they took a while to get started, I now haveÂ quite a few with good root systems and little leaves developing. We’ll see if thisÂ helps speed their growth any this summer.
I also decided to try sprouting some ground cherry seeds that I savedÂ several years back from the community garden. I honestly wasn’t even sure if these would germinate, but they certainly did! They took a while to come up, but now they are putting out true leaves, and seem very happy on this windowsill with western sunlight for the moment. They should be ready to transplant in another week or two at this rate.
Finally, I branched out into a newÂ way of using up our kitchen scraps: vermicomposting!Â My little compost bucket is already full after maybe 6 weeks of use, and I will probably get a second one started, but from what I understand, worms can make short work of kitchen scraps and junk mail, so I thought it would be fun to give it a try. My mom and Theo helped me shred up some paper and cardboard egg cartons for bedding, and I introduced my new pets to their luxury habitat just a few days ago—they still seem to be alive, at least, but of course it is hard to know how much activity is going on in there. Time will tell!
So far it has been a good start to the season.Â Now that my beds are established, next year I can work on getting things like peas in the ground earlier, and maybe I can even figure out an indoor growing system, a cold frame, or at leastÂ some good row covers to help get a jump on the season. I will also have lots more work to do in the front yard, where I am hoping to do some container gardening and establish a medicinal/edible flower and herb bed.